The practice was founded in 1948 by Dr Edwina Davies, who worked out of her own house at 166 Hoylake Road. In 1955 she was joined by Dr A A Duncan and shortly afterwards the practice moved to its present address. By 1973 the practice was run by Dr Duncan and his wife who were joined in 1976 by Dr Jeremy Henry.
In 1980, upon the retirement of Dr & Mrs Duncan, Dr Steve Mellors joined the practice. In 1982, the continuing programme of improvement and modernisation was started with the building of the extension now housing four spacious consulting rooms, the re-design of the waiting area and the creation of a practice nurse suite. These initial changes enabled the practice to expand its service to the patients.
Dr Trevor Gibbs joined the practice in 1988 when he took over the list of the retiring Dr Hargreaves, a single handed practitioner. To reflect the grouping of the three doctors, the practice was re-named Moreton Medical Centre. A second phase of improvement and modernisation was started in 1990 with the building of a staff car park and enlargement of office space to absorb the increased computerisation of the practice.
1991 saw expansion into the upstairs with further computing and office space and the creation of two conference suites: downstairs, a second nurses’ suite was created reflecting the ever increasing importance of our two practice nurses. From April 1st 1994 the practice developed even further with the appointment of our first lady partner, Dr Fiona Cowie.
In March 1996 Dr Albert Pereira joined the practice as a full time partner to replace Dr Gibbs, who left the practice to take up a full time academic post. In 1997 the practice continues to expand with the addition of 2 new consulting rooms and the re-design and refurbishment of the reception and waiting area.
During 2005 and 2006 the practice saw a lot of change with Dr Cowie’s departure due to family commitments and her wish to pursue other interests.
The practice team continued to develop as Dr Randev joined the practice on a permanent part time basis to be shortly followed by Dr Christopher Campbell and Dr Katie Ariaraj. In April 2006 Dr Henry, Senior Partner and founder member of Moreton Medical Centre, retired. The practice team had already been developed in anticipation of this to ensure that we could continue to provide the same level of service for our patients. On 1st April 2006 Dr Campbell and Dr Ariaraj joined Dr Mellors and Dr Pereira as partners in the practice. Dr Mellors, Senior Partner, retired in June 2008. Dr Randev became a partner in 2009 and in 2010 we welcomed a new Partner Dr McKay. At the start of 2011 Dr Ariaraj departed due to family commitments. Dr Diane Atherton joined the practice in 2011 as a salaried GP and became a partner in April 2015.